I'm hoping that Katie's hard drive doesn't crap out during this road trip, because I'd be really disappointed if we couldn't blog anymore. Today was going from Indiana to Missouri for future adventures in St. Louis, but first we had to pass through Illinois and therefore...more. fucking. cornfields. I really don't know how to explain the absolutely ridiculously terrifying feeling of being on a perfectly flat road with three other cars and two other trucks driving in a straight line surrounded by NOTHING BUT GODDAMN CORNFIELDS. We pulled off into a McDonalds at one point and parked (facing a cornfield) and Katie just started laughing hysterically at said cornfield. They were really starting to get to us. I'm so glad we didn't grow up here.


I drove the 4 hours from Bloomington to almost St. Louis (we're in a city/town just outside of it) and kept getting distracted by the massive amounts of sky, but even if I swerved across the road and onto the grass I wouldn't have hit anything. I've seen more sky in these past three days than I've seen in my entire life. After a while the heat on the road combined with the flatness of it gave the pavement ahead this shimmery effect, so it looked like there was water covering the road. Only the water would dry up when we got closer to it. Then when we were going up a hill (which only happened maybe twice) it looked like the road was building itself as we went and the cars ahead of us were floating.

Okay. Writing about this is making me feel all trippy. I'm sure you all get the point by now. Actually, no one will ever get the point until they experience it. SO MANY CORNFIELDS.
So let me just shovel all the cornfield images in my head off to the side so I can remember what the hell else "happened" today. We passed a sign for Effingham County, after which I shouted "Give me that effing ham!", we saw a truck towing the fronts of other trucks (it looked like they were having an orgy), we played the "Let's See if the Truck Drivers are Looking at Us" game as we passed trucks (many of them were), we encountered a gas pump with a sign taped to it that said the automatic stop didn't work and mildly panicked until the truck at the pump in front of us left so we used that one, we passed more cornfields, a lot of antique malls, more cornfields...DAMN YOU CORNFIELDS! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO US!?
So glad we're going to a city tomorrow. We haven't left the hotel room yet but we both agree that St. Louis is amazing.
No comments:
Post a Comment