I need to stop talking so much about all the meth I do. Someday someone might believe me.
Speaking of things people might believe, I think we're telling Jamie's parents that we're going down the shore. Maybe possibly to hang out with a female cousin of mine, and my cousin's best friend. I haven't seen my cousin in so many years, and I'm so ridiculously excited to be seeing her again! In fact, I haven't seen her in 18 years. Because she doesn't exist. I doubt Jamie's parents will do extensive research on my family tree.
Speaking of things I'm hoping Jamie's parents won't be doing extensive research about, Brooklyn and Brooklyn 2.0. Brooklyn was us and Keith at John Bosch House (this garage in Bedstuy), seeing Bomb the Music Industry! (played Scrambles all the way through) and Andrew Jackson Jihad (fun time singalongs) and The Brass and Let Me Crazy and Laura Stevenson (missed most of her waiting on line to use the shitty bathroom, though). And, you know, we made it to the ghetto and back alive and well and happy (!). Every time I do something like that and come back alive, I grow more confident in my ability to handle myself without my parents. I can plan things by myself, and I can execute them, like a real goddamn adult! Or, uh, close-ish enough. What I mean is, I don't need my parents to coddle me every step of the way anymore. No matter how much I wanted my mommy and daddy to tell me which subway I was supposed to get on. I can do it myself. We did it ourselves.
Brooklyn 2.0 is important in a different way. Jamie's parents will know what we're doing (ish). They have to - it's on a Thursday, so she can't just claim sleepover. I might be placing more value on this trip than I ought to, more than it really deserves, but I can't help but think that if they let us do this, they'll be ok with our "Shore Trip". Brooklyn 2.0 is in Williamsburg (a much nicer place than Bedstuy), at a place that doesn't have "House" right in the name. And I don't think people live there, either. It's pretty minimalist, I guess, but, again, no "House" in the name, so hopefully they don't think to google it. Because it's a warehouse and they seem to not mind inside smoking, so I doubt it's strictly legal. But, you know, fun or legality? Duh, fun. Also, my parents are willing to vouch for this. I guess just how much we want to go and how much we aren't going to die. So hopefully it's all cool and they agree and we go. It's already my late April/Early May Fun Thing (it's April 30), and I need to have a big Fun Thing every two weeks or so or else...I have nothing to look forward to and I get all despondent. And then life sucks and why do I bother showing up to school? et cetera. The mid-March thing was John Bosch, the late March/early April thing is the Hold Steady meeting/concert. It's this Monday (!!). (Jamie is The Wish Child). My parents are tentatively going to not be home in mid-April, so hopefully that works out. Prom weekend in early June. It's all getting me through to graduation. And it's all the leading up The Road Trip - I suppose it's the final big Fun Thing.
At this point, then, the only flaw in the plan is the aforementioned scenario in which we end up in the hospital and Jamie's parents are all, "Why are you at a hospital in Minnesota?" But as my mom told me before "It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission." For serious, she really said that. She did stick in a, "And now that you're 18, I can tell you that." Still. I was weirded out. Shouldn't they be telling me to follow rules and be honest?
NOT THAT I'M COMPLAINING. And not that I would anyway.
Saturday, March 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment